The Doomwood Derby is a racing event for unpowered, unmanned miniature cars, featuring weird characters. It was started by the Skull Rangers back in the early 1900's, when the lonely Rangers would have races of ghost-pulled toys (Reaper Racers). Eventually, the tradition spread from graveyard to graveyard, and then to Barrows... where they it was adopted as a Monster Rangers tradition. (With 4 wheels.)
We've recently uncovered some of the first Doomwood Derby cars (in star photo by Tim Schuessler), and we've designed kits around those first designs.
Deluxe Add-Ons: Deluxe Fenders, Horned Helmet, and Car Stand!
THIS PACK INCLUDES
- 4 steel axels
- 4 nylon washers
- 1 left panel
- 1 right panel
- 1 center core
- 4 wood wheels
- 1 "Head" driver character (INCLUDED, but not IN the car package.)
THINGS TO KNOW
- This is a kit. You will have to trim, sand, paint and assemble your racer.
- Some burning of edges - and imperfections in the wood - is normal. Work them into your design.
- Doomy - the skull racer - is the core character. There will be others offered in the future. (But we're launching with just Doomy.)
- Please customize your car! Add paint details. Add other details. Glue stuff on. Carve your own head. Just follow the rules.
- We will bring Doomwood Derby races to every camp (and other events like Weenhallow) in 2020.
- It takes a couple of hours to paint and assemble one. (Probably not ideal for Camp; build yours ahead of time!)
- Do not make your racer wider than the axel. (1.5 inches.) You can go up to 1.6 inches wide, but you're asking for trouble.
- Keep your racer under 6 inches tall. We'd recommend around 4.5 inches as more ideal.
- Keep your racer under 6 inches long. Stock car is 5.9 inches long.
- You must use the official Doomwood Derby kit as the base of your car.
- You must keep the stock wooden wheels and steel axel.
- Maximum weight limit: 5.2 oz.
FULL OFFICIAL RULES HERE
If you do not follow the rules, your Derby Car will probably be disqualified for regular races.